That was only one of several recent accidents in the garment industry. Yet out of the darkness, a revolution was born: A revolution to create awareness, to raise questions and ultimately, to bring about change. That change begins with you and I as consumers.
The fashion industry has grown to a frenzied pace. Consumers crave the newest, hottest, fresh-off-the-runway styles. This “fast fashion” focuses on quick, cheap production. Manufacturers underbid their competitors to keep up. When issues like large cracks or other structural warning signs arise at these factories, the pressure to meet industry demands doesn’t allow for the downtime to address unsafe working conditions. Unethical companies choose risk over human rights. The unfathomable cost of that risk was evident five years ago this week, yet continues today.
Trades of Hope is proud to stand with Fashion Revolution, the world’s largest fashion movement calling for a fairer, safer, cleaner, and more transparent fashion industry across the globe. Together, we can put an end to human rights’ violations and instead, see these workers as individuals first. This revolution starts with each one of us, the consumer, caring about the real people who make what we buy.
Did you know that 75 Million people work to make our clothes and 80% of them are women between the ages of 18-35? These women are just like you and I – women with children, sharing the same hopes and dreams for a future without worry. They deserve to be paid a fair living wage so they can be with their families instead of working 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, and still not earning enough to cover basic living expenses.
“Who made my ____ clothes/shoes/jewelry/bag?”
BEFORE your next purchase?
We empower our artisans with safe working environments and living wages. We invest in their well-being, in their health, and in the sustainability of their communities. We pay our artisans their asking price, up front. We offer training and educational opportunities for their personal growth. We know the names of our artisan partners. We know their stories, their struggles, their desires to meet their full potential. Each and every one of them are equal to us – and we are ALL worthy.
Trades of Hope has changed through empowerment!
Awareness is key to changing the working conditions and creating a more sustainable work ethic in the US and around the globe.
- Shop Fair Trade Companies – there are more fair trade options for all consumer products available today than ever before. Do your research, do your part.
- Demand better – Take a stand on social media: Tweet, post, and Instagram, and @mention companies and designers and demand to know #whomademyclothes to increase transparency in the fashion industry.
- Raise awareness this week by posting photos in your ethically-made fashion pieces and sharing on your blogs and social media pages with the hashtags #fashionrevolution and #whomademyclothes.
- Post your pics wearing Trades of Hope products and you may be featured on our social media pages! Include the hashtags, #TOHstyle and #fashionrevolution to your posts and @ mention @tradesofhope. We love to see world changers like you!
- SHARE our Trades of Hope graphics showing the REAL PEOPLE all around the world that are proud to be “Slow Fashion” and take pride in each handcrafted piece.
If you'd like to learn more about how you can help empower women out of poverty or to shop for beautiful, ethically-made Slow Fashion pieces for yourself or as special gifts with meaning, (Hint, hint: Mother's Day!) visit www.tradesofhope.com.