Alia is one of our talented artisans in Jordan that creates the Sea Glass Necklace. Alia wasn't able to finish high school and could not find work easily. She lacked the opportunity to provide for her family. Many women in Jordan like Alia have very little opportunity to find work, creating a lack of independence. However, through Trades of Hope, Alia is now able to provide for her family, design jewelry and raise her kids in her own home! Alia works in a family-like workplace where there is singing and laughing while the creation of unique jewelry is being made from upcycled glass bottles. In celebration of World Fair Trade Day, the Sea Glass Necklace is now 20% off this weekend only!
Many women living in poverty around the world lack the opportunity to provide for themselves and their families. They are most often swayed to use their bodies as payment to be able to provide the basic needs for themselves and their families.
Shop Alia's product here: http://bit.ly/2ysDeuK
Today is wonderful reminder that there is still more woman waiting to be empowered and YOU can be a part in their story of hope. Your purchase empowers women like Alia with boldness and financial independence for the first time! Below is the fair trade principles Trades of Hope follows everyday.
We commit to these principles and to partner with the Fair Trade Federation, as they are at the heart of our mission of putting our artisans first:
- We Create Opportunities for economically and socially-marginalized artisans.
- We Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships with artisans to ensure that relationships are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
- We Build Capacity of artisans and their communities. We invest time and resources to help artisans build their businesses.
- We Promote Fair Trade by raising awareness about fair trade, educating customers and artisans, and inspiring other businesses to adopt fair trade practices.
- We pay Promptly and Fairly.
- We Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions that are free of discrimination and forced labor. Healthy workplaces empower artisans to participate in decision making.
- We cultivate Environmental Stewardship by encouraging responsible use of resources and eco-friendly production. We reduce, reuse, reclaim, and recycle materials whenever possible.
- We Ensure the Rights of Children by never using exploitative child labor. We support children’s right to security, education, and play.
- We Respect the Cultural Identity of artisans and celebrating their diversity. Fair trade products and production methods respect the traditions of the local communities.